twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Strategies to Avoid Paying Capital Gains Taxes

A successful self directed investor which has made gains during the year should strategically plan against paying capital gains taxes. Understanding the mechanics of the capital gains tax itself is very important. Following is the way capital gains tax is calculated and what my policy is to keep the share that the tax man is supposed to get. 
 
Capital gains is the difference between the book value and the market value at the time you have disposed of an asset. For example, if you paid $10.00 per share and you purchased 1000 shares the book value would be $10,000.00. If the share value increases to $15.00 per share and you sell your 1000 share position, the (market value) or sale price is $15,000.00. Using these values, your capital gain would be the increase in value between the $10,000.00 purchase price and the sale price of $15,000.00 which is $5,000.00. The capital gain tax applies in the following manner, the first half of the gain ($2,500.00) is free of taxation and the capital gain tax is payable on the ($2,500.00) remaining half. The actual amount payable is figured according to your present income bracket for that calendar year.
 
Now this is how I save paying tax on the remaining $2,500.00. I immediately transfer the funds into my retirement savings plan (RSP) and defer the tax until retirement. Now I not only get to keep the full $5,000.00 but I have generated a tax deferral at tax time. I may have even generated a tax refund when filing my income tax return. Depending on how much time the funds remain in my RSP it may multiply over and over again.
 
There are many ways to defer paying capital gains taxes but this is just one of my strategies. Plan ahead and generate a larger RSP portfolio and pay less tax.

No comments:

Post a Comment